First Match
In my first match
with Australian National University (ANU) cricket club, we played against the Brewers Best at a ground that
seemed that it needed a lot of grooming, but since it’s the same for both
sides, we didn't complain too much about it. (well we did, but it didn't
matter).
![]() |
| Well...maybe this isn't the most accurate representation of the grass there...there was no cattle present! |
Our captain won the toss and we elected to bat and thus it began. Our openers looked a bit shaky, but the bowling was very wayward to my liking, a lot of balls were down leg and not really given wides (due to the nature of the grade, but seriously..just so you can simply roll your arm over doesn't mean that you can simply make the ball pitch on the ground, not caring for where it is heading!) there was an absolute multitude of deliveries that were down leg and since they don't get penalized, it just went down as dot balls. I personally really wish that there was some kind of rule that was agreed upon by the association and all the teams would stick to it.
Such bowling
concessions coupled with a slow outfield meant that we limped manfully to a
total that seemed under par to me. But the grass was so thick in places that it
resembled a swamp, so carefully hit drives would not go anywhere. I made 20 not
out and hit a 6 (my first of the season) off an off spinner that was talking a
tad too much for my liking. Zeeshan (Zeeshy) batted really well and made a fluent 33 from memory. We did manage to bat out all of our overs
which was excellent in my opinion.
Not batting out the
overs is almost criminal in this format, with the amount of loose deliveries on
offer and also the fact that you keep the opposition out in the field, and
specially when it happens to be a bit hot, every moment that you can keep them out
there is crucial.
I think our batting
improved constantly as the competition went on.
I had been informed
by my captain that I would be opening the bowling for our team. I personally hadn't opened the bowling
for a long time. I always enjoy my
bowling but I always prefer to actually bowl with the semi new ball, bowling
first change. It allows me to actually control my swing and my bowling rhythm
is easier to come by.
Personal note:
(There is a certain feeling that comes with holding the ball for some bowlers.
I used to prefer holding the semi new ball in my fingers and not have the hard
seam cut into my fingers as it is with the new ball and so I would run my
fingers down either side of the seam and get it to move in which direction I
wanted it to go. Also in practice we hadn't been using new balls, I had just
been using the older ball, trying to understand how to get some reverse swing.
I also use a slightly different grip with the 2 piece ball, having a slightly
more open and looser grip so that I can control it better.
Watching a lot of Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir, and the way they use their wrists and fingers it seems that they have very loose wrists and fingers to allow the ball to be delivered with more backspin on it. There is also a certain amount of scrambled seam involved on the release from the ball which doesn't allow it to be picked from the hand at the best of times.
Watching a lot of Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir, and the way they use their wrists and fingers it seems that they have very loose wrists and fingers to allow the ball to be delivered with more backspin on it. There is also a certain amount of scrambled seam involved on the release from the ball which doesn't allow it to be picked from the hand at the best of times.
The 2 piece ball
swings a bit too much at times, with a wider grip of the fingers on the ball, I
find that I could negate the amount of swing that I was getting.)
The opposition was
quite aggressive in the beginning, I was smacked for a big straight six back
over my head. I was really surprised at that, and both of the openers hit me
for boundaries as I was too straight and couldn't swing the ball as I wanted
to.
It was hard to run
in on that ground so my rhythm was very disrupted, I kept on slipping every
time I tried to actually run in on my run up. I slid a few balls down leg side,
and actually that was how I got my first wicket, a ball sliding down leg and got
the edge and was taken by my keeper effortlessly. (after all my complaining
about the "freaking leg side bowling by the opposition" so I didn't
really celebrate too much.)
Seeing how the
batsmen were hitting straight or rather trying to, I posted my fielders on mid
on and mid off a tad deep and bowled straighter and fuller to encourage them to
do so. The second opener soon obliged and was caught at mid on. I had bowled a
few wide of off stump and then bowled one from closer to the stumps and that
would be fuller but cramping them for room.
The quality of
batsmen that now followed weren't all that good to be honest, I could tell from
their techniques and batting stances that it wouldn't take too much to make
them collapse. (Not trying to be arrogant here, but you can tell from the
quality of cricketers on the opposition that this wasn't their first choice
team)
One batsmen wasn't
moving his feet too much so I tried to bowl at his stumps, and followed up with
a yorker from wide of the stumps that was inside edged onto the stumps.
I followed up with
my fourth wicket after that with one that was simply a ball that was a length
ball that the batsmen tried to drive on the up and instead got a leading edge
that popped up nicely for gully.
After that, the
fight went out of the opposition and the other bowlers in the team chipped in
with wickets, I bowled out all of my overs and went past the edge a few times
and the stumps as well, but that elusive five-for remained exactly that
...elusive.
But we won the first
game as the opposition collapsed quite effectively and the boys cleaned up
really well.
I wasn't
particularly happy with my bowling as I had literally bowled without any
rhythm, but normally I find that whenever I do so I take a lot more wickets!
Match details and scoreboard can be found on the link below:

No comments:
Post a Comment